This program prepares students for entry level clerical and bookkeeping positions with job titles such as accounting clerk, posting clerk, accounts receivable clerk, payroll clerk, or bookkeeper.
This program is designed for advanced level ESOL speakers who seek training in the bookkeeping & accounting field. The PLUS program includes an additional contextualized instructional material that is designed to enhance comprehension and retention for ESOL students. Additional supports are provided based on the individual learning plan.
The course will give students who have minimal or no previous knowledge of accounting a basic understanding of accounting / bookkeeping principles and procedures used to record, classify, and summarize financial data. Students will become familiar with accounting terminology, financial records, forms, and statements currently used by industry. In addition, the program includes in-office training and computer skills, business math, and job development skills.
All course textbooks and materials are included with your tuition.
This program is available for students needing English as a Second Language and/ or remediation classes.
Rhode Island College
600 Mt. Pleasant Avenue - East Campus, Bldg. 8
Providence, Rhode Island 02908
Main Phone: (401) 456-8698
Fax: (401) 456-8582
Recruitment Phone: (401) 456-8902
ESOL Recruitment: (401) 456-4754
Recruitment Email: email@example.com
RIC Outreach Programs are available to qualified students in need of training and employment, including clients of the Rhode Island
Department of Labor & Training (DLT), the Department of Human
Services Family Independence Program (DHS), and the Office of
Rehabilitative Services (ORS). Other potential funding sources may apply.
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act funded training may be provided only to individuals who qualify for the program, and only if funds are available.
Please call to discuss financial options:
Bookkeeping & Accounting PLUS
The Bookkeeping & Accounting PLUS certificate program teaches skills in manual and computerized accounting and bookkeeping functions, including preparation and maintenance of ledgers, journals, adjusting and closing entries, basic financial statements, cash and banking procedures, payroll, and accounts payable & receivable.
This program runs for up to 30 weeks, depending on their individualized learning plan. Classes are 30 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 9 to 3.
Includes internship and job search and placement.
Contact us for program start dates.
Phone: (401) 456-8698
Comprehensive training includes:
- Manual and computerized accounting procedures includes extensive training in QuickBooks and Excel accounting programs
- Business writing and communication skills
- Northstar computer literacy certification
- Microsoft Office and typing skills
- Work readiness skills include: business etiquette, cover letters, resumes, job search techniques, mock interviews, job placement and reference assistance
- A 120-hour minimum internship in an accounting office will get you real work experience and have you well prepared to enter the workforce
- Financial literacy seminar
- Food and Nutrition Education seminar
- Independent learning plans
- Individual counseling and job coaching
- Case management and tutoring
Who is eligible?
- High School Diploma or GED
- Students motivated to learn new skills and accept a job